Do I need self-storage insurance?

Storage Giant | 21 August 2014

When you opt to store goods away at a storage center, there are a few things that you need to do before you get moving. Firstly, you’ll need to know the best way to pack – whether you are a student moving to or back from university or perhaps you are moving away for a long time and need long-term packing tips.

Which packing material to use, tips and advice on packing are a general obvious to people new to storage solutions, but what you may not be aware of is insurance.

Insurance is required to protect and cover your valuables, so it is important for you to know your options.

Unlike car or home insurance, storage insurance can be cheap! It can start from just as little as £1 for every £1000 of cover.

Which insurance service is the best for your storage?

You should choose an insurance company that is going to have your goods insured for the duration of its storage life. There have been situations where customers who have used long-term storage and not continued their contract with external insurance providers. This can affect the claims you make if any damage or mishap was to occur, it also means that you wouldn’t be covered with insurance if your goods affected someone else’s, or vice versa.

This is why it is sometimes better to just opt for insurance in-house.

What does your storage insurance cover?

Check that the insurance you take out covers the following:

• Physical loss or damage to your property caused by burst pipes or escape of water
• Theft accompanied by forcible and violent entry or exit
• Moth, insect or vermin damage from an external source
• Fire
• Lightning
• Explosion
• Earthquake
• Storm
• Flood
• Riot
• Strike
• Civil commotion
• Malicious damage
• Impact by vehicles and aircraft

Contact Storage Giant today to see what insurance is on offer.