Moving House Checklist: Who To Inform When You Change Your Address
With lockdown restrictions beginning to ease, many people will be restarting their house-buying plans. If you are moving house, it is important to let key organisations and businesses know about the change. This checklist will help you keep track of who to contact and how.
Government and Motoring
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA)
- Electoral Roll
- Child Benefit Agency
- Car insurance and/or finance and/or breakdown cover
- Local authority – for Council Tax
When you update your new address with HMRC, you can request that these changes are also registered with the Department for Work and Pensions.
- Royal Mail: redirect post
- TV Licensing
- Phone – landline and mobile
You can set up Royal Mail redirect, so any post addressed to you at your former home will, instead, be delivered to your new address. You can do this here: Royal Mail redirect service here.
Health and Professional
Your employer needs to know your change of address for their payroll. They will update your contact details and match these to HMRC and your National Insurance number.
Money and Insurance:
- Bank and/or Building Society
- Premium Bonds
- Loan companies
- Credit card company
- Store card
- Health insurance
- Home/contents insurance
- Life insurance
- Travel insurance
- Pet insurance
If you forget to update your address with your insurance company they may refuse any claim you make.
- Pet micro-chipping – It is a legal requirement to keep your pet’s microchip details up-to-date so you can be notified if your pet goes missing.
- Entertainment subscriptions
- Gym/sports clubs
- Magazine subscriptions
- Household subscriptions – Food or Drink services, Contact Lenses and laundry tablets to name a few.
Moving house can be a stressful time. However, at Storage Giant we are here to help make the process run as smoothly as possible. Here are the services we offer that make moving house a walk in the park:
- Running out of boxes to fit all your stuff in? Fear not, as Storage Giant’s on-site packaging store has everything you need. We sell sturdy cardboard boxes, packing crates, bubble wrap, furniture and mattress covers, tape, and even labels and pens to mark your stuff. We even offer discounts for bulk purchases, so don’t worry if you have a lot of things to transport.
- Planning to move transport your things by endless car journeys? Think again, as at Storage Giant can set you up with affordable removal services in South Wales and we also organise home moves further afield.
- Renting or staying with friends in between houses? Downsizing? Moving abroad? Take advantage of our affordable self-storage rooms. We have 1400 rooms in 40 different sizes, so there is guaranteed to be something to suit your needs.